REQUIRED FDA LABEL UPDATES FOR 2020
As part of new FDA labeling updates required for ALL Food, Beverage and Supplements, Plexus will be updating the Nutrition Facts and Supplement Facts portions of our weight management and nutrition product labels throughout 2020. These changes will roll-out gradually across all lines, and in fact, you may have noticed the new panels already on some of our trial packs.
What does this mean to you as a Plexus Ambassador or Customer?
The most obvious change that savvy label-readers will notice, aside from the new layout, will be differences in DV% (Daily Value Percent). For example, vitamin and mineral contents may appear higher or lower in some cases. What’s important to keep in mind is that there have been no formula changes. These are the same Plexus products you know and love.
Here are more details about what will be updated on the new labels:
- Daily values for nutrients like sodium, dietary fiber and vitamin D are being updated based on new scientific evidence. Daily values are reference amounts of nutrients to consume or not to exceed and are used to calculate the percent Daily Value (% DV).
- Increased type size for “Calories,” “servings per container,” and the “Serving size” declaration, and bolding the number of calories and the “Serving size” declaration.
- Declaring the actual amount, in addition to percent Daily Value, of Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and Potassium
- Updating the footnote to “*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.”
- Stating “Added sugars,” in grams and as percent Daily Value.
- Requiring Vitamin D and Potassium amounts to be listed. Vitamins A and C will no longer be required but can be included on a voluntary basis.
- Removing the statement “Calories from Fat” and associated value.
Here are some side-by-side comparisons that demonstrate the differences you may see between current and future Nutrition Facts and Supplement Facts labels. Note: The labels pictured are not of Plexus products.
For more information, please visit: https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm and https://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ucm537159.htm.